Master International Business
The study program „International Business with Regional Focus“ is the answer of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt to the ever-growing demand from the labour market for managers and leaders with a sound academic education that has prepared them for working in today’s international business world. As English is the one global business language, the program is completely taught in English. The practical orientation of the program fits ideally with the concept of the German Universities of Applied Sciences. Graduates of this program are sought after by small and medium sized companies, large multi-national conglomerates as well as by other organizations (e.g. non-profit-organizations).
The objective of the MBA program International Business with Regional Focus is named in § 2 of the study and examination regulations (SPO):
The objective of the non-consecutive master program “International Business with Regional Focus“ of the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt is to qualify students for management positions in international companies of all sizes as well as in comparable organizations. Therefore, management and leadership competencies that have been acquired in previous studies and/or in practical work are broadened and deepened. The programs aims at enabling the students to take their next career steps and/or to give their careers a new direction. By imparting practical-oriented knowledge about all functional areas of management as well as about all management disciplines, both the subject-specific, the methodological and the cross-subject capabilities of the students are increased. In doing so, a dedicated focus is given on the specifics of doing business in an international setting. By choosing one of the offered Focus Regions, the students have the possibility to specialize on one business region and to acquire competencies concerning the respective culture, communication and interaction patterns that you need to have if you want to successfully do business in and with the respective region. When having finished this program, the students have also learned to work scientifically on their own as well as in multi-cultural groups and to cope with demanding projects. Thus, the program also contributes to their personal and social development.
The most important features of the MBA program “International Business with Regional Focus” are the following:
- The program comprises 1,5 years (3 semesters), including the time needed to prepare the Master Thesis.
- Depending on the chosen Focus Region, the program includes a stay of ~4 weeks at a partner university in the respective Focus Region.
- Depending on the chosen Focus Region, the students are introduced to one of the dominant business languages of the respective Focus Region.
- The program comprises group outdoor activities of altogether ~1 week.
- Throughout the program, the students have to work on demanding projects either individually or in multi-cultural teams.
The program has a modular structure and altogether 90 credit points (CP) have to be achieved, that is 30 CP in each of the three semesters. Credit point is defined according to the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).
- 1 CP equals a workload of 25 hours.
- It is highly recommended that the students complete each module in the semester shown in below study plan, as each module (except for the Master Thesis) is only offered once per study year. In case a retake is necessary, each exam is offered every semester however.
- The study plan, which is prepared for the students at the beginning of every semester, is based on the Module Handbook. Students are able to join the lectures without collisions in the respective semester. In case the Module Handbook allows for alternatives (e.g. concerning type of exams), the study plan also defines the alternative that is valid for the respective semester.
- One module might comprise two or more courses. The modules might have different workloads and thus CP.
- For each module, the total workload consists of two parts, while the split can differ between the modules:
- Attendance time: Lectures and all other meetings in the university guided by a lecturer. The attendance time is determined by (academic) hours per week during the semester (SWS). One academic hour equals 45 minutes and one semester has usually 15 weeks.
- Self-study time incl. exam preparation: Preparation for and post-processing of lectures. This might include reading literature, working on case studies, preparing presentations and preparing for the module exam.
The admission requirements are specified in detail in § 3 of the study and examination regulations (SPO) of the program. Briefly, the admission requirements are as follows:
- In order to receive a Master degree, the students need to acquire 300 CP in total including previous experiences. As our MBA program International Business with Regional Focus offers 90 CP, 210 CP need to be acquired in previous studies.
- Being a non-consecutive program, the students need to prove at least 1 year of relevant and qualified professional experience.
- Being taught completely in English, the students need to prove sufficient English language skills (B2 level or higher according to CEFR).
2. Module Descriptions
On the following pages, each module is presented in a structured way. The modules conform with the Study and Examination Regulation (SPO) as of 18.06.2019.
- Language Competence Asia
- Language Competence Eastern Europe
- Language Competence Latin America
- Language Competence Western Europe
Doing Business in and with Focus Region
- Doing Business in and with Asia
- Doing Business in and with Eastern Europe
- Doing Business in and with Latin America
- Doing Business in and with Western Europe
3. Study- and Examination Regulations Master Programme International Business
4. Study Plan Master International Business
Note on accessibility:
The PDF documents deposited in this page area are not barrier-free. If you require assistance, please contact the Campus for Professional Development.