NewM - The context
Internationalisation and mobility are an essential part of modern higher education. Nevertheless, some partners of this consortium are experiencing a decline in outgoing exchange students. This has led us to examine and re-evaluate the status quo of the internationalisation at our institutions. In this context, we have identified the following three major challenges that we would like to address through our internationalization efforts within the framework of the project:
- Bringing Europe together by increasing awareness and understanding in Europe.
- Increasing the transversal competences of the future workforce and therefore enhance their Europe-wide employability.
- Reduce inequalities in international education.
For this purpose, the key factors internationalisation and mobility will be reconsidered and revised. In higher education great emphasis has already been placed on internationalization, but currently widespread methods of mobility, by contrast, reach only a very limited number of students. Especially considering the many social and physically disadvantaged students in europe, this is an intolerable situation. Due to this situation, the partner institutions conducted various surveys and came to the following conclusions:
- interest in physical mobility on the student side is declining.
- students demand for more high-qualitaty international content at their home university
The main objective of the project is to develop mobility concepts using digital technologies
that can be made available to all participants of a course of study, the first target group. In order to
achieve this ultimate goal, new pedagogical concepts have to be developed, tested and implemented
into existing curricular to achieve an improved internationalisation at home. Since there are few real
examples of those new modes of mobility it can be difficult for a Higher Education Institution to
implement them. For this reason the project is also targeted at external Institutions and lecturers in
the first step to give them the support they need to do so, those are the second target group.
The planed output of the project is:
01 to 06: A variaty of new teaching models (inlcluding respective Guidlines)
07: Virtual guide to bulid the capacity of the teachers to implement internationalisation at home
08: Prospective framwork on a curriculum level
09: New Modes of Mobility eBook
- Increased number of students involved in international teaching and learning concepts
- Increased opportunities to build up international competencies for students that are facing unbreachable barriers when it comes to physical mobility
- Increased awareness of internationalisation in HE in Europe
- Increased transversal skills among students in HE in Europe
- Increasing the knowhow of teachers as well as curriculum designers in HE in Europe