Small and Medium Sized Enterprises
Module no./code, Module name
Module 23-26a, Small and Medium Sized Enterprises
Type of module
Language(s) of instruction
Language(s) of examination
Courses of the module
|Name||Course type||Credit hours||Links|
|Starting and Managing small and medium sized Enterprises||Seminaristischer Unterricht||8 Credit hours||n/a|
Prof. Dr. Rainer Wehner
- Prof. Dr. Stephanie Baumgarten
- Prof. Dr. Harald Bolsinger
- Prof. Dr. Rainer Wehner
Teaching and learning formats
Tuition in Seminar, Case studies, Group work
Classroom and digital/online teaching
Particular conditions for admission (to exam)
other exam (soP): Report (A), Presentation (B) or Portfolio (F)
Decision and Announcement beginning of the semester; Multiple Choice: possible; Auxiliary material: no
Condition for award of ECTS credits
- sonstige Prüfung (Präsentation)
- sonstige Prüfung (Hausarbeit)
- sonstige Prüfung (Portfolio)
Weighting factor of module grade
In this module student will have to create a realistic concept of their own "real" company.
Creating an entrepreneurial mind-set this module focuses on developing, managing and implementing new strategies and concepts for SMEs in the national and international market. While managing SME ́s is dealing with different models on the national marked, the internationalization part enables students to understand the challenges and opportunities during the internationalization process.
All in all sustainability is the key factor of SMEs when implementing news strategies and ideas.
Besides, key leadership skills are discussed and practiced. Students gather the following knowledge:
Starting and managing small and medium sized Enterprises
- What is an SME?
- What is Impact Entrepreneurship?
- Importance of SMEs for the social economic development
- The role of the owner-manager
- Founding concepts
- Legal opportunities
- Taxation of SMEs
- The role of planning in SMEs
- Opportunity recognition
- Case studies
Internationalization of SMEs
- Theories and perspectives of internationalization of SMEs
- Trends and foreign markets entry modes
- Strategies and decision making processes when, how or why
- Inward and outward SME internationalization
- The role of business networks for internationalization
- The importance of knowledge and experience for the int. process
- SME internationalization into emerging markets
Sustainability and Strategy
- What is sustainability?
- Recognizing sustainability as a key business driver
- Ethical standards
- See the big picture
- Lifecycle thinking as a strategy
- Models of SME growth
- Value Chain Analysis and Promotion
- The Role of Values and Purpose for Entrepreneurship
- What are the characteristics of an entrepreneurial spirit?
- Which values favour entreperneurship?
- Which company examples can prove this?
- Worldview and value foundations for entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship in a Social Market Economy: Christian foundations
- deal with the concepts of SMEs on the basis of own findings
- are able to form sustainable strategies and realize them
- recognise leading structures and are able to handle changing concepts
- are able to deal with internationalization strategies of SMEs and implement them
Level: Knowledge an Comprehension
- recognise management processes in SMEs and their strategic effects
- know about the necessity of international activities of SMEs
- comprehend the importance of sustainable management and know the importance of trust
Level: Problem Solving
- analyse insights of various topics and adapt them to practical applications
- analyse challenges and opportunities of internalization of SMEs and find the right solution
- conceive different strategies and apply them to sustainable concepts
- have the ability to find creative solution concepts for various SME topics
Literature and other material
European Commission (2007) Supporting the Internationalization of SMEs – Final Report of the Expert Group, European Commission, Brussels.
Haahti, A., Hall, G. and Donkels, R. (1998) The Internationalization of Small to Medium Enterprises, Routledge, London.
Hagen, B. (2010). Business Strategy in International Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Pavia University Press, Pavia.
Jones, M. V., Dimitratos, P., Fletcher, M and Young, S. (2009) Internationalization, Entrepreneurship and the Smaller Firm, Edward Elgar, Cheltentam.
Olejnik, E. (2014) International Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises – Internationalization Patterns, Mode Changes, Configurations and Success Factors, Springer Gabler, Wiesbaden.