Module no./code, Module name
Module 7 / STC, Strategic Competences
Type of module
Language(s) of instruction
Language(s) of examination
Courses of the module
|Name||Course type||Credit hours||Links|
|7-01: Strategic Management||Seminaristischer Unterricht||2 Credit hours||n/a|
|7-02: Operations Strategy in the Digital Age||Seminaristischer Unterricht||1 Credit hours||n/a|
Prof. Dr. Uwe Sponholz
- Prof. Dr. Uwe Sponholz
Teaching and learning formats
Tuition in seminars (onsite or digital/virtual)
In this module, the strategic dimension of management is dealt with, both from a conglomerate, a divisional and a operations processes perspective.
Particular conditions for admission (to exam)
other exam (soP): Presentation (C), Paper (F) or Portfolio (G)
Decision and Announcement at the beginning of the semester.
The lectures are weighted by their SWS to derive the module grade.
Condition for award of ECTS credits
- sonstige Prüfung (Präsentation)
- sonstige Prüfung (Dokumentation)
- sonstige Prüfung (Portfolio)
Weighting factor of module grade
- Definition of strategic management
- Vision – Mission – Strategy
- The Strategy Development Process
- Typology of Strategies
- Findings of Strategy Research: Life Cycle Concept; Learning Curve; PIMS
- Strategic Frameworks: Market Product Matrix; Market Portfolio; Technological Portfolio; Porter´s Five Forces; Concept of Core Competencies; SWOT analysis
- Standard Strategies: Market Segmentation; Market Stimulation; Timing-Strategy; Competitive Strategy; Internationalization, Innovation
- Strategic Alliances; Merger & Acquisition, Diversification (horizontal, vertical and lateral).
Operations Strategy in the Digital Age
- Introduction to Operations Strategy
- It´s all about fulfilling Customer Expectations
- The Competition of Value Chains
- Supplier Networks and Collaboration
- Major Approaches to Operations Excellence
- Supply Chain Simulation
- Case Studies (different industries)
- Operations Balanced Score Card
After successfully completing this module, the students …
- can define the terms strategy, strategic management, innovation and international strategy
- are familiar with the basic theoretical concepts of strategic management
- can illustrate the overall strategic management process and apply this process
- can distinguish the different types and levels of strategy
- are able to formulate different strategic options and choose one of these options based on a financial and strategic evaluation
- understand the relevance and scoping of operations strategy
- know the evolution of operations management from the pre-industrial age into Industry 4.0
- know how to transform a corporate strategy into an operations strategy
- can identify the different management approaches to achieve operations excellence
- are able to perform an analysis of operations performance in order to identify improvement opportunities
Literature and other material
- Kim, Chan W/Mauborgne, Rene: The Blue Ocean Strategy (latest edition)
- Mintzberg, Henry et al.: The Strategy Process (latest edition)
- Rothaermel, Frank T.: Strategic Management - Concepts and Cases, International Edition (latest edition).
- Porter, Michael E.: Competitive Strategy (latest edition).
- Porter, Michael E.: Competitive Advantage (latest edition).
- Thompson, Arthur A./Strickland, A.J.: Strategic Management - Concepts and Cases (latest edition).
Operations Strategy in the Digital Age
- Carlzon, Jan: Moments of Truth (latest edition).
- Gong, Yeming: Global Operations Strategy - Fundamentals and Practice (latest edition).
- Kaplan, Robert S./Norton, David P.: The Balanced Scorecard - Translating Strategy into Action (latest edition).
- Kaplan, Robert S./Norton, David P.: The Execution Premium - Linking Strategy to Operations for Competitive Advantage (latest edition).
- Loch, Christoph et. al.: Management Quality and Competitiveness - Lessons from the Industrial Excellence Award (latest edition).
- Magee, David: How Toyota Became #1 - Leadership Lessons from the World's Greatest Car Company (latest edition).
- Ohno, Taiichi: Toyota Production System - Beyond Large-Scale Production (latest edition).
- Schaeffer, Eric et.al.: Reinventing the Product - How to Transform your Business and Create Value in the Digital Age (latest edition).
- Slack, Nigel/Lewis, Mike: Operations Strategy (latest edition).